Manchester United release statement after Mason Greenwood is charged by police for attempted rape, assault and controlling behaviour

Manchester United have released a statement after their striker, Mason Greenwood was charged with attempted rape, assault and controlling behaviour

Greenwood has not featured for United since January after he was bailed following his arrest on suspicion of rape, assault and questioned about claims of making threats to kill.

On Saturday morning October 15, senior Old Trafford officials confirmed he had been arrested after allegations that he breached the conditions of his bail by contacting the alleged victim.

Reacting to the incident, Janet Potter, the Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.”

“All three counts relate to the same complainant. Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorised the charges following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.

“The defendant’s first court appearance will take place on Monday 17 October at Greater Manchester magistrates’ court.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice those proceedings.”

A statement from Manchester United read: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service. He remains suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the judicial process.”

The Bradford-born forward joined the club’s youth academy at the age of six and was just 17 when he made his first-team debut. He was capped by England in August 2020.

He was arrested at his Cheshire home on Saturday after allegedly breaching the conditions of his bail. A Greater Manchester Police spokesperson said in a statement: “Greater Manchester Police are aware of an allegation regarding a 21-year-old man breaching his bail conditions and an arrest has been made on Saturday 15 October 2022. Enquiries are ongoing at this time.”

Do you want to invest in real estate but don’t know how visit Estate Alert today https://estatealert.net/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *